Re: [TCLUG:16582] Firewalls revisited...

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Scott Dier - dieman wrote:
> > Only problem with setting default policy of DENY is you don't get logging
> > when packets are denied...
>
> NO! its good to do both.
>
> What if you somehow have a chain that you can sneak through that gets by
> the default-deny?  I could write up a plausable situation.
>
> Just remember to send it off to an LDROP chain when wanted.
>
> You dont really want to log *everything* that drops, do you?  CIFS
> broadcasts are annoying as hell to watch.

...and for anything common (cifs broadcasts, smb broadcasts, etc), just
add a chain that denies but does not log. Yeah, I like to see everything
that gets denied that I didn't specifically say 'do not log'..

--
Nate Carlson <natecars@real-time.com>   | Phone : (952)943-8700