Re: [TCLUG:16580] anyone use vnc?

>I was just trying out vnc (http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/) and it
>looks really cool.
        it is indeed cool. it's a bandwidth hog; but other than that, is
exceedingly flexible & usable.

>only problem is that I'd like to use this for my main session on my
>linux-desktop computer, but when I run the X-client on connecting to
>localhost it won't use the full screen (even with fullscreen option) and
>the colors aren't right. Is there a way to get it to run in passive mode
>or something, so I can use linux/X normally, but also resume my display
>from another computer with vnc?

        not quite sure what you're asking here, can you clarify?
        are you trying to connect to your own computer, and display your
VNC/X session locally? (why?)
        if you are trying to do that, it may screw up the colors b/c the
screen you're on is allocated a set of colors by X; and when the VNC session
tries to display those same colors that were already allocated, they get
screwed up somehow. could someone who understands color under X explain this
better?
        try forcing VNC to display 8-bit color. I think there's an option in
the config file to do that. that may cure the color problem. this should
also make it run faster. :)

Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator    307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA	        Buffalo, MN
carls@agritech.com      (763) 682-1091