LInux system files

Hi,

One of the biggest sources of confusion in Linux (at least for me) are the
locations and purposes of the myriad system files and scripts. Files like:

~/.bash_profile
/etc/rc.d/rc.modules
/etc/profile
/etc/rc.d/rc6.d

And on and on, not to mention all of the networking configuration files.
Is there a tutorial that descibes all of the common system
configuration files and scripts, with info on why, when and by what they
are called, and the type of content that should be found in them?

For example, I am trying to confgure my sysetm, so that at boottime, when
the system goes to runlevel 3, it automagically starts my Novell Netware
client. Then, at each user login, I want the nwlogin command run, and at
each user logout, I want the nwlogout -a command run.

However, I do NOT want the nwlogin / nwlogout commands to run when simply
starting / terminating a new shell (or a console from X) Only on account
login / out.

Some advice anyone?

Bill Layer
b.layer@vikingelectronics.com