Re: [TCLUG:16717] Go nVidia!

  Hi,

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 rhankins@d.umn.edu wrote:

> I couldn't download it, the site was so slow... when it went under 100
> bytes per second, I gave up.  How did you install it?  Does it work ok
> if you don't have a distrib that supports RedHat?

Well, you do need to install X 4.0 (duh). I didn't use RPMs for that. I'd
recommend downloading the binaries from xfree.org, though, because XFree's
build will sometimes screw up and NOT BOTHER TELLING YOU, and then you're
wondering why it's not working...

They have both RPMs and tarballs on their site. You need to download both
the XFree driver, which I got an RPM of, and a kernel module, which I got
a tarball of. There's also a FAQ, which is actually installation
instructions, and it is EXCELLENT. It even covers installation of
XFree 4.0! I had absolutely no problems installing and setting it
up... other than the fact that I had modules disabled.

Then again, I had already installed and configured X 4.0 before. That
might be a bit complicated. My advice is to get THAT running perfectly
first, and then add the nvidia drivers.

One problem I seem to have - it won't go above 1024x768, even in 2D
mode. My display was set at 1680x1260 or something, so that sucks! I'll
look into that tomorrow. Oh, it's after midnight, I'll look at it today.

I'm getting >50K/sec from their site now, so you can probably DL it with
no problems.

-Yaron