Re: [TCLUG:16719] The NVidia license

it would be interesting to see some benchmarks of all the different window
managers available for linux, based on say a low end, (200mhz or below), and a
high end (+400mhz) machine, both in memory and CPU usage. anyone want to help,
or think this would be a cool thing to try?

Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

>         I'm going to let other folks hammer on the other points, and I might
> say something to them when the furor dies down.
>
> here's the one I want to comment on:
> >Resource requirements -->
> >Sure, Linux only "requires" 8MB of memory, but if you're going to be
> >running X, you'll want at least 128MB.  The same can be said of
> >Windows 2000.  128, at least.
> >Result: Tie, unless you only run Linux in CLI mode.
>
>         I severely beg to differ on this one. yes, X is bloated and slow;
> but the window manager and desktop environment make just as much difference.
>
> I run FVWM2 on my Cyrix166/48MB at home, and rarely touch swap.
> I've run AfterStep on a 486/66 w/44MB, and rarely touched swap.
> I've run WM2 on a 486/100 w/ 24MB, and rarely touched swap.
>
> I've run KDE/KWM on a P75/24MB, and it did the worst thrashing I've ever
> seen a computer do. (on the same machine, NT4sp1 was nice and snappy, tho I
> never actually ran any apps on it.)
> I put KDE/KWM on my parents' K6-2/450 w/64MB, and it doesn't hit swap much.
> I tried Gnome/E on my Cyrix166/48MB, and it hit swap pretty regularly.
>
> so yes, Linux can be almost as bad as NT if you run a bloated wm.
>
> __But_I_can_choose_not_to.__
>
> Carl Soderstrom
> System Administrator    307 Brighton Ave.
> Minnesota DHIA          Buffalo, MN
> carls@agritech.com      (763) 682-1091

begin:vcard
n:Matteson;Kyle
tel;pager:6127167875@airtouch.net
tel;cell:612.716.7875
tel;fax:612.843.6707
tel;home:651.767.6700
tel;work:612.843.6707
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.talkware.net
org:Universal Talkware Corporation
version:2.1
email;internet:kmatteson@talkware.net
adr;quoted-printable:;;10 2nd St. N.E.=0D=0ASuite 400;Minneapolis;MN;55413;
x-mozilla-cpt:;-26048
fn:Kyle Matteson
end:vcard