Re: [TCLUG:16719] The NVidia license

linux netscape never crashes on you???? you must not browse very much

Daniel Taylor wrote:

> Well, my heavily biased and opinionated comments follow ;)
> Of course I like to believe that my opinions are correct
> because they are based on facts, but people who disagree
> with me think the same of their opinions.
>
> On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 Nick.T.Reinking@supervalu.com wrote:
>

> > Performance ->
> >
> > Linux is no doubt fast on the CLI, but the bloat of X slows
> > it down in a GUI environment.  Windows's GUI is slow,
> > but not as slow as X.
> >
> > Result: Tie (Windows for GUI desktop, Linux for CLI server)
> >
> Hmmm, is this what WindowMaker gets you, a slow GUI?
> Admittedly Linux's Quake framerates under X could be better,
> but fvwm2 is so snappy that I haven't noticed any performance
> improvements on the base GUI over several major system upgrade.
>
> > ----------------------
> >
> > Stability -->
> >
> > While traditional thought would side with Linux on this one,
> > especially on Win9x, those who have run Windows 2000
> > will know that it is just as stable as Linux.  Its biggest cause
> > of instability is *still* poor quality video card drivers, and off
> > brand chipsets.  Linux is a bit different - most of the mainstream
> > video cards are pretty stable under X, and I've never had
> > chipset support be an issue under Linux (although sometimes
> > it is a bit slower because it doesn't optimize for some chipsets).
> >
> > Result: Linux, by a little bit.  However, running Windows 2000 with
> > Microsoft certified drivers is just as stable as Linux.
> >
> Windows 2000 (released) has not been in the field long enough to
> make this comparison. Period. Linux servers can have multi-month
> uptimes without missing important security upgrades! If you need
> to patch up sendmail or wu-ftpd none of the other functions of the
> system are effected (NFS or Samba file service, web service, &c.).
>
> The only upgrades that require reboots are kernel upgrades and init.
>

> > Ease of use -->
> >
> > Well, that same configurability that makes Linux so powerful
> > in the hands of the advanced user *really* hurts it here.  Windows
> > applications have a fairly consistant look and feel to themselves.
> > If someone is having problems with something on their Windows
> > box, I can sit down and usually fix it right away.  With Linux, I may
> > be able to fix a WindowMaker problem, or an Enlightenment
> > problem, but I would probably be just as confused as they are
> > if it was running E on Gnome, or KDE, or pwm, or any of the myriad
> > of styles that I've never seen before.  Additionally, Windows applications
> > tend to work better together.  Copy-and-paste usually always works
> > perfectly on Windows, but is basically text-only, or in-application for
> > Linux, and that hurts it a lot.
> >
> > Result: Windows is still much easier - applications just aren't
> > consistant in Linux.  That's really going to hurt people trying to learn it.
> >
> Yeah, but tell the cashiers at any of the retail establishments out
> [...]
begin:vcard
n:Matteson;Kyle
tel;pager:6127167875@airtouch.net
tel;cell:612.716.7875
tel;fax:612.843.6707
tel;home:651.767.6700
tel;work:612.843.6707
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.talkware.net
org:Universal Talkware Corporation
version:2.1
email;internet:kmatteson@talkware.net
adr;quoted-printable:;;10 2nd St. N.E.=0D=0ASuite 400;Minneapolis;MN;55413;
x-mozilla-cpt:;-26048
fn:Kyle Matteson
end:vcard