kernel 2.3.99 prob: apache, hdparm...

I just upgraded all the software I needed to for the new kernel and booted
off a newly compile 2.3.99pre5 kernel. Fixed all the ppp stuff, but now
I've got two problems, probably related:

Apache fails:

[root@localhost k24]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start
Starting httpd: Ouch! ap_mm_create(1048576, "/etc/httpd/logs/mm.1299")
failed
Error: MM: mm:core: failed to acquire shared memory segment (Invalid
argument): OS: No such file or directory
                                                           [FAILED]
I've upgraded both apache and mm packages, but no change. What does this
mean?

I wanted to check out the udma stuff under the kernel and ran a speed
test:

[root@localhost k24]# /sbin/hdparm -t /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
could not allocate sharedmem buf: Invalid argument

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ben