Re: [TCLUG:20139] Backing up linux machines with Backup Exec

On Mon, Aug 07, 2000 at 08:08:50AM -0500, Timothy Wilson wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Andy Zbikowski wrote:
>
> > Then there's how to get the backup archive to a place where Backup
> > Exec can get it. SAMBA doesn't work, because two of the Linux
> > machines are on the external network and the third internal.
> > Amanda is appealing because it's allready pulling in the backups.
> > Maybe I could simply smb share the dumpfiles so backup exec can
> > get them.

Since I was the one who set up your original backup routine... ;-)  I
would say that Amanda is the best bet.  Use tar, and forget about dump
(it really sucks).  SAMBA may not be the nicest way to backup Windoze
machines, but it's useable.  The issue with SAMBA and Amanda is that
incremental backups aren't possible (IIRC).  My frame of reference on
this issue is quite old, and they may have fixed it since I worked
with it.

Yes, Backup Exec is slick, and in the case of backing up data, I don't
mind spending a little money on proprietary software, especially if it
makes my life easier.  Are you running the DLT with BE or is it being
run w/AMANDA right now?

> There's a Backup Exec client for Linux available. Have you
> investigated that?  If so, I'd be interested to hear about it since
> I may be trying that soon myself.

Cool.  Give Veritas a call and ask if you can demo it for 30 days.

--
Chad "^chewie" Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>
        http://wookimus.net/chewie

PGP signature