Re:[TCLUG:20103] Latex Problem

First, sorry that this message is probably not filed properly as a reply
in
the archives -- I accidentally deleted the original and had to cut and
paste from the archives.

Second, I am pretty much a novice here, so nothing is gospel and you may
want
to double check what I'm saying.

The error message from mktexpk indicates that the postscript driver
dvips
can't find the fonts.  There is a seperate config file for dvips which
might
need a path adjusted.  As a test, if you create a dvi file can you view
it
properly with xdvi?  Xdvi should trigger font making using the usual
search
paths as specified in the tex configuration file (texmf.conf?) and the
environment.  If Xdvi can't find them, then these search paths are
messed up
in texmf.conf.

Another useful command is kpsewhich which will print out the search path
used for different types of tex-related files.  Check it's man page for
the right options to look for.  Especially check for .tfm and .pk files.

A last possibility is that the file permissions aren't set right in
/var?
To create a font, somebody needs to be able to write something.

Rob