RE: [TCLUG:20274] User administration...

> I have a few users who need access to some virt web server directories for
> dev purposes.  I would like to give them all access without forcing them
> to pickup some new commands and would also like to eliminate their
> "need" for root access which the last admin granted them...
>
> How is this sort thing typically done?  Just through different gids? or
> what?

I just create a group called "webslaves" or something equally catchy, add the
users to that group,  chgrp the appropriate dirs & files, and chmod them 775 and
664, respectively.  I really can't think or any other way to accomplish this,
unless you want to do something amazingly complex with setuid programs and site
update tools...

--
Eric Hillman
UNIX Sysadmin/Webmaster