Re: [TCLUG:20274] User administration...

Adam Maloney <adamm@sihope.com> writes:

> I've seen this done a few different ways.
>
> You give them each their own group, which is the same as their username.
> Then the perms on the directory are 755 or 775 and the ownership is
> luser:luser.  I've also seen people keep everyone in the same group (virt,
> web, users, whatever) and set the perms as 705 so that the other users
> can't read anything in the web directories.  This protects any code that's
> being developed from prying eyes, but lets world (anyone not logged in)
> see the pages via the web.

How does this work?  705 means user has full access, group has no access and
anyone has read/execute, I think that's right for 5.  Isn't everyone on the
system able to use the anyone permissions so that even though they're in hte
group that has no access, because of the 0, they can still access the files
because of the anyone access, the 5?

--
Jon Schewe
http://eggplant.mtu.net/~jpschewe