Re: [TCLUG:20300] wvdial problem

From the PPP HOWTO:

8.4. Default route not set

   If pppd refuses to set up a default route, it is because (quite
   correctly) it refuses to remove/replace an existing default route.

   The usual reason that this error occurs is that some distributions
set
   up a default route via your Ethernet card as opposed to setting up a
   specific network route.

   See the Linux NAG and the Net2/3 HOWTOs for information on correctly
   setting up your Ethernet card and associated routes.

   An alternative to this is that your LAN uses a gateway/router already
   and your routing table has been set up to point the default route at
   this.

   Fixing up this last situation can require a fair bit of IP networking
   knowledge and is beyond the scope of this HOWTO. It is suggested you
   obtain some expert advice (via the news groups of from someone
locally
   you can ask).

7.2. WvDial - A command-line pppd driver

   The WvDial homepage is [131]here

   WvDial is a command-line pppd driver. It has two main components,
   wvdialconf and wvdial. Both must be run as root.

   First you must run wvdialconf. wvdialconf is generates a
configuration
   file containing information on your modem and ISP information.
Running
   wvdialconf will probe your comm ports, looking for a modem, and
   determine the capabilities of any modems it finds.

   wvdialconf is invoked with the name of your wvdial configuration
file-
   which is always /etc/wvdial.conf. Here's what the output should look
   like.
[root@blah /root]# wvdialconf newconffile
Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

ttyS1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- OK
ttyS1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 Z -- OK
ttyS1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 -- OK
ttyS1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 -- OK
ttyS1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 -- OK
ttyS1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 -- OK
ttyS1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0 -- OK
ttyS1<*1>: Modem Identifier: ATI -- 28800
ttyS1<*1>: Speed 2400: AT -- OK
ttyS1<*1>: Speed 4800: AT -- OK
ttyS1<*1>: Speed 9600: AT -- OK
ttyS1<*1>: Speed 19200: AT -- OK
ttyS1<*1>: Speed 38400: AT -- OK
ttyS1<*1>: Speed 57600: AT -- OK
ttyS1<*1>: Speed 115200: AT -- OK
ttyS1<*1>: Max speed is 115200; that should be safe.
ttyS1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0 -- OK
ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- ATQ0 V1 E1 -- ATQ0 V1 E1 -- nothing.
Port Scan<*1>: S2   S3

Found a modem on /dev/ttyS1.

   If your output looks different, check that your modem is plugged in,
   turned on, and connected to a com port.

   Once you have run wvdialconf, you need to edit the /etc/wvdial.conf
   file to reflect the phone number to dial, and your username and
   password. Open up /etc/wvdial.conf in your favorite text editor. It
   should look something like this:
[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/ttyS1
Baud = 115200
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0
; Phone = 555-1212
; Username = my_login_name
; Password = my_login_password

   Remove the ';' and fill in the appropriate fields- phone number,
login
   name and password. Now you should be all set to run wvdial.

   Run wvdial. Assuming that you filled in your phone number, username,
   and password correctly, wvdial will now dial your ISP. wvdial will
not
   exit until the connection is terminated- you can do a Ctrl-C to
   terminate it.

   wvdial is fairly new and untested software, so if you run into any
   problems along the way, you should contact the authors. You can find
   their contact info on the homepage listed above.