Re: [TCLUG:20298] Large mbox file into seperate email messages

> On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 04:23:08AM -0500, Bob Tanner wrote:
> > I would like to take a very large mbox file and seperate it into
> > the individual messages. Is there a tool that will do that for me?

Personally, I would simply install the nmh tools.  From the man page
for nmh(1):

       "nmh  is  the  name  of a powerful message handling system.
       Rather than being  a  single  comprehensive  program,  nmh
       consists  of  a collection of fairly simple single-purpose
       programs to send, retrieve, save, and manipulate messages.

       Unlike  most  mail  clients  in  UNIX, nmh is not a closed
       system which must be explicitly run, then exited when  you wish
       to  return to the shell.  You may freely intersperse nmh
       commands with other shell commands,  allowing  you  to read
       and  answer your mail while you have (for example) a
       compilation running, or search for a file or run  programs as
       needed to find the answer to someone's question before
       answering their mail."

I find it a very useful too, especially when I get fed up with UI
programs.  Two programs you'll find interesting...
1. inc(1)
    NAME (edited for more info)
        inc - incorporates mail from the user's incoming  mail  drop
            into an nmh folder.

    SYNOPSIS (edited for brevity)
        inc [+target-nmh-folder] [-pack pack-file-to-convert]

    Program Size: 138k

2.  packf(1)
    NAME
        packf - pack messages in nmh folder into a single file

    SYNOPSIS
        packf [+folder] [msgs] [-file name] [-mbox] [-mmdf]
                    [-version] [-help]

    Program Size: 73K
DEBIAN INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

apt-get update