Re: [TCLUG:20305] Package formats (was: Re: suidperl)

I certainly never said Debian's packages system is bad.  In fact, I find it
quite handy and efficient.  I was just saying that Slackware's packaging
system isn't as bad as everyone seems to think (IMHO).  I've never had a
problem with packages overwriting anything.  I could see though, if you
have package X version 1 installed and wanted package X version 2 installed
and just when ahead and installed the later with installpkg, it would
overwrite potentially important files.  This is exactly the reason that the
upgradepkg command was invented.  In my experience, many haters of Slack's
packaging system don't really know how to use it, and don't seem to want to
even take the time.  Not to say that you or Mike are one of those people,
however.

Gabe