Re: [TCLUG:20325] Question with Linux Mandrake 6.5

On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 12:12:08AM -0400, DCsk8r34@aol.com wrote:
> Hello, im new to linux and i have linux(6.5) for windows installed
> on my computer, everytime i boot into linux alot of programs start,
> and when i go into xwindows it is super slow, i was wondering if
> anyone could tell me how i can make it so all those programs dont
> start when i boot into linux?  Thank You Derek

I was going to ask you what Linux 6.5 was, but I gather from your
subject title that you're actually referring to Mandrake 6.5, the
Linux distribution.  (That is a small correction which may seem
inconsequential at the moment, but believe you me, you will receive
far more criticism from others for mistaking a distribution for the
Linux kernel).

Now, to place myself in context here, you've installed Mandrake 6.5 on
your Windows box (some sort of Linux on a DOS parition, I gather), and
you're:

    1. Wondering why "a lot of programs start" every time you
        boot.
    2. Wondering how to make these initial program not start when you
        boot.
    3. Wondering why X and it's window manager (probably KDE) run
        slow.

To points 1 and 2.  The programs that are starting when you boot your
machine include both essential and nonessential programs to an
operating Linux system.  You will need to learn which programs are
needed and which are not, and disable those undesired applications
appropriately.  To disable these programs, you will need to learn how
Mandrake handles its "init" scripts.  Is is BSD or SysV in style?  You
will need to do a little research here: Mandrake-specific or general
FAQ's, guides, and manuals.  I will give you a hint, though (just
don't shoot yourself in the foot).  Look in the /etc/rc.d/init.d,
/etc/rc.d/rcS.d/, and /etc/rc.d/rc2.d directories.  Just don't change
anything without consulting documentation and or friends first
(without a backup plan, anyway).

Point 3 can only be answered when you give us other information, such
as the processor speed of your machine, it's video card, and it's
avialable memory.  It simply sounds like you've got a slow machine
that's trying to run a lot of "default apps" that you probably don't
need.

Incidentally, I was writing a lengthier explaination but looked at the
time and realized that I'm well past my bed time.  I also realized
that most of the questions you have about Linux can be answered by
your dutiful examanation of the many FAQ's, HOWTO's, Guides, and
manuals about Linux, and probably a commercial book or two.  As a
start, go to:

    http://www.mandrake.com
    http://www.linuxdoc.org

Good luck.