RPM <= 3 problem

I noticed that there was a new emacs release and went to update it and
received this error

[cmoewes@chris cmoewes]$ sudo rpm -F emacs-*
Password:
only packages with major numbers <= 3 are supported by this version of
RPM
query of emacs-20.7-13.i386.rpm failed

So is this the emacs package number (20.7) or the RPM package
format. Do I need to upgrade my
rpm. Last time I did that I was had a lot of trouble. I see that
there is rpm 4.0 in cvs development. But if it is still in
development, why would packagers (i.e. rawhide) be using it.

So after fuming and fretting for a while I go and look to see if there
is an update to rpm, low and behold there is. I think I am saved (yeah
right). Download it and go to install it.

[root@chris cmoewes]# rpm -F rpm-4.0-0.66 --test
only packages with major numbers <= 3 are supported by this version of
RPM
query of rpm-4.0-0.66.i386.rpm failed

So in order to install rpm 4, you need to have rpm 4 installed! Am I
missing something??  Any help appreciated.

Christopher R. Moewes-Bystrom
cmoewes@moewes.com
http://www.moewes.com
http://www.linuxnovice.org