How to break startup

Greet the sun all,

Question:  how do you break the startup cycle?  My laptop boots into the
login screen (Debian).  However, I have lost my mouse again.  The
keyboard works but all I can do is login into the login screen (shows
the title Debian GNU/Linux) and I have the Debian splash screen.  I
can't get to a shell in order to fix the XF86Config file.  I can't
telnet into the box because I just brought it home from work where it
gets it's IP address from a DHCP server.  The rescue disk also boots
into the login screen.  Can I break the bootup process before it hits
xdm?  If so, how?  I have tried Ctrl-C but no joy.

--
Perry Hoekstra
E-Commerce Architect