linux crashed :-(

I never thought it would happen, but there's a first time for everything I
guess.  Last night I was trying to burn a CD and linux left me no option but
to reboot my system.  I did a mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom (scd0 is my writer)
and it hung.  I popped open another console, did a kill -9 on the mount
process, and it wouldn't end.  I tried removing and reinstalling the aha1542
module, it couldn't do it.  In desperation, I typed 'shutdown -r now' to
clear the problem.  /home wouldn't umount cleanly for some reason.  I
thought this only happened in the 'other' OS's.  Any ideas as to why mount
hung and why I couldn't kill it?