Re: [TCLUG:20455] linux crashed :-(

On Wednesday, August 16, 2000, Mike Hicks <hick0088@tc.umn.edu> wrote:

> Looks like this is a good place to go:
> http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/computer/firmware.html
>
> Unfortunately, it looks like you have to go into Windows (or have a Mac)
> to extract the files.  Windows people really need to start using
> installers that use standard file formats so we can still get at the
> goods without being able to run a .EXE..
>
> Then again, I haven't tried WINE yet..

FWIW, the latest WINE can handle InstallShield installers, although they
may hang (harmlessly) at the very end.  Last I heard, anyway.  WINE has
come a long way over the past couple months (even over the past couple
weeks!).

OTOH, it's probably not worth installing and configuring Wine just to be
able to open a .EXE file.  (c:

John

--
dusk@ravendusk.org                            http://www.gnome.org