Re: [TCLUG:20467] linux modems

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, John R. Sheets wrote:

> On Wednesday, August 16, 2000, Andrew Nemchenko <drew@usfamily.net> wrote:
> > Go To Best Buy and Get a Lucent Technologies PCI Actionteck modem with
> > call waiting. This modem Is specifically designed to work in linux. I
> > bought it and from the very first day I put it in and followed the
> > instruction mannual on its installation, It has worked like a charm
> > and not given me one error or problem not even one. I highly recomend
> > it. It goes for around $45 at least the last time I saw one.
>
> What was that about call waiting?  Does that mean the modem will handle
> call waiting interruptions gracefully?  Anything to do with that new
> V.92 (or whatever it was called) standard that's supposed to land in
> September?

All modems can handle call waiting gracefully - you just need to adjust
the S10 register in the modem to a longer timeout (ATS10=X).  You'll get a
couple of bad packets, but your connection will stay up.

AFAIK, the only "call-waiting" enhancement that new modems do is either
1. ignore the call waiting tone, or 2. use a different default for S10.

Also, any phone line can disable call waiting for the duration of a phone
call by adding either a 1170 or *70 to the front of the dial string.

--
______         _ __         "If you don't have the freedom to use what you