From: Adam Maloney <adamm@sihope.com>
To: <tclug-list@mn-linux.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2000 9:10 AM
Subject: Re: [TCLUG:20645] Sendmail - Operating system error!

> Are you sure local-host-names is a flat text file and not supposed to be a
> keyed database?
>
> If you do:
> sendmail -bt
> > 3 <root@your.machine.com>
> > 0 <root@your.machine.com>
>
> Do you get any more useful information?  (use EOF to end test mode)
>
> see  http://www.telekomnet.com/writer_allan/8-1-00_isp_104.asp by yours
> truly.  I checked my facts by doing it under Linux, so it should work
> perfectly.
>
> Adam Maloney
> Systems Administrator
> Sihope Communications
>
> On Thu, 24 Aug 2000, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
>
> > I am trying to set up sendmail 8.11.0 (don't ask me why - I just want
to). I have it installed, I have the /etc/mail/sendmail.cf setup via the
generic-linux.mc file.

> > I am trying to start sendmail in this way :
 "/usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q30m"  No problem it starts.  I can send mail from
the local to computer to any other machine on the net.  However, when I send
mail to my machine from elsewhere, or when I send local mail on my machine -
it never arrives.  I look at the queue (sendmail -bp) and it shows two
entries in the queue.  I have tried to force queue processing
(sendmail -v -q) and I am getting the following errors:

> > [root@cascade cf]# sendmail -v -q
> >
> > Running /var/spool/mqueue/e7O0bRn27703 (sequence 1 of 2)
> > <root@cascade.veldy.net>... Connecting to local...
> > <root@cascade.veldy.net>... Operating system error
> >
> > Running /var/spool/mqueue/e7NKQf427623 (sequence 2 of 2)
> > <veldy@cascade.veldy.net>... Connecting to local...
> > <veldy@cascade.veldy.net>... Operating system error
> >

> > Currently, it is running under the root user (right now it is a test box
and behind a firewall).  I believe all permissions are correct.

> > Incidentally, I followed all the instructions in the README and INSTALL
files throughout the distributions (yuck!) to set up sendmail from source.
I originally got the following error when starting sendmail:

> > /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 63: fileclass: cannot open
'/etc/mail/local-host-names': No such file or directory

> > I created a file called /etc/mail/local-host-names with the following:
> >
> > cascade.veldy.net
> > localhost
> >
> > I tried many combinations of this to no effect.
> >
> > I have the latest bind installed on this machine also, but it is not
running.  I am using DNS services on another host.

> > Any help getting through this would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Tom Veldhouse
> > veldy@veldy.net
> >
> > P.S.  I have appropriated "The Bat Book", but it has been of no help
solving this problem.  I am quite sendmail green - I historically use
Postfix.