Re: [TCLUG:20646] Root login + Free hosting

But the whole point was that if you order a 256k DSL line from US-West,
you are going to train at whatever speed your phone line supports, just
like if you buy a 512k DSL connection or a 7MB DSL connection.  So the
argument was, now that US-West isn't rate shaping at the DSLAM, why would
you buy a 512k / month DSL line.

If you're seeing 256k downloads you probably can only get 256k DSL,
because US-West isn't rate shaping anymore (unless VISI is).

Even if you do get a 512k DSL connection, US-West won't guarantee you
/any/ bandwidth, there is no CIR with DSL.  They'll drop your packets into
the bit-bucket without batting an eye - voice traffic takes precedence
over DSL traffic.

The argument is that the internet doesn't have the infrastructure to
handle residential users with high-speed connections.  But if you're
downloading from Citilink's tucows mirror or something else that's close
or has enough capacity you'll definately benefit from more bandwidth.  The
thing is, I've got multiple T-1's to VISI (and soon a DS-3) and I'd say on
average downloading something from some random place I don't get full
speed, I get probably 30KByte, sometimes 50KByte on a good day...that's a
rough estimate of an average.

I'm certainly not saying that having more bandwidth is bad, but why pay an
extra $25 / month to US-West for 512k if you can still train at 512 with a
256k DSL line?

Adam Maloney
Systems Administrator
Sihope Communications