Re: [TCLUG:20733] Dell RAID controllers?

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 08:03:50PM -0500, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
>anyone know which brand of RAID controller Dell servers ship with? (the low-end single-channel one).

They have several models. Mostly adaptec flavor.

>the slippery salesdroid I spoke to didn't seem to know what he was talking about.

This is a huge problem with sales lackeys. My thing is, how the f**k can you
expect to sell something you don't understand? I mean when I speak to a sales
person, the good ones will convince you why brand/product a is better than B.

I always ask that they puch me through to an engineer or some other such and
then I get a badge number so that I can say "Hey badge number so-and-so needs
to better understand the products he/she is trying to push"

>they must be supported under Linux, because Dell ships RH6.2 on their servers; but the question is *how well is it supported*?
>Here at Real-Time we like Mylex controllers, because they're manageable through a /proc filesystem interface (great for remote diagnostics). no other controller has that, As Far As We Know.
>
>anyone have good/bad/indifferent experiences with Dell servers?

The debian default install kernels tend to get confused and panic when
initally booting on dell servers sporting the back-plane interface for some
reason. Basically from what I understand, they attempt to load too many types
of drivers and oops somehow and either shutdown or reboot. In this case there
are alternative boot disks available for you dd'ing pleasures.
--
Ben Lutgens  Cell: 651.387.9065  Home: 651.703.9541

Backup not found: (A)bort (R)etry (T)hrowup