Re: [TCLUG:20742] /dev/null settings

Subba Rao <subb3@attglobal.net> writes:

> Some of my cron jobs are writing their error messages to /dev/null.
> It was working fine until yesterday, when I choose to link the netscape
> "cookies" file to /dev/null. After that the cron job send me email with
> the following message.
>
> /bin/sh: /dev/null: Permission denied
>
> The current permission on /dev/null are as follows,
>
> crw-------   1 root     sys        1,   3 Jul 17  1994 null
>
> Are these the default settings for /dev/null?

No, it's supposed to be rw for everyone.  Are you running Netscape as root?
Get in the habit of not logging in as root and that'll save you lots of
headaches.  Especially since Netscape likes to change the permissions on files
that it uses all the time.

--
Jon Schewe | http://eggplant.mtu.net/~jpschewe