Re: [TCLUG:20762] upgrade RedHat without reboot?

You can save typing by using
	rpm -Fvh *.rpm
which will "freshen" your install by updating only those things that are
already installed.

Of course, this will include the kernel, which means you will have to
reboot in order to switch to the new kernel. But it will be a shorter
downtime.

I like to exclude kernel and related rpms (look for --excludepath in the
rpm man page) and deal with those deliberately and carefully...

It won't update /etc/lilo.conf automatically, so you'll have to do that
(add a stanza for the new kernel, but keep the old one around).

Sorry, don't have time for more detail.

Andy