Re: [TCLUG:20799] Need help with SCSI Tape backup

--- Gabe Turner <dopp@acm.cs.umn.edu> wrote:

> > Question: How do I communicate with this tape
> drive? It is the only SCSI
> > device in the system and I have no experience with
> SCSI devices.
>
> Since it's a tape, it doesn't have a filesystem so
> you can't really mount
> it.  All you do is write to the raw device (like
> /dev/sd0 or whatever).

I see... That leads me to my next question then. How
can I determine what the device name is? Is this
assigned automatically when the driver loads? I am
using the BusLogic.o driver for my SCSI card.

I was under the impression that the device name may
change based on how you may be trying to use the drive
- i.e. 'rewind' or 'non-rewind' or maybe even based on
the size of media you place in the drive. At least
someone told that is how their SCSI tape drive was
used in HP-UX. Does Linux do something similar to your
knoweledge?

Thanks,
Mike

p.s. I think I will pick up the O'Reily book asap. I
would love to read the chapters on crafting a policy
and procedure etc. I could use a little help there
too!