Re: [TCLUG:20862] Corel office

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Bob W. Anderson wrote:

> Corel now has its new Office for Linux on the market for about $110.
> It includes Word Perfect, Quattro, and Paradox!  This seems like a
> really good deal.
>
> Does this seem all that good to any of your with more intimate knowledge?

There are some on this list that will probably insist that the day they
pay for software is the day they can walk to pick it up over the frozen
river Styx.  When you compare it to MSOffice, it's a steal.  Truthfully,
I'm pickled tink to hear that Quattro is available for Linux.  It beats
the tar our of most spreadsheets I've used.  Plus, I have a soft spot for
both WordPerfect and Borland's old products.  So I'm inclined to say that
for someone with the disposable income, it *is* a good deal, but you
should test drive it and make sure it runs as smoothly as you'd like.

> Can the Corel apps be run easily on other Linux distros, or have they
> corrupted the code in some way ( a la MS ) to force you to use their
> OS release? Bob W. Anderson Newport, MN

Heavens, no!  I ran WP8 on Mandrake for a while.  Linux is Linux, kernel
wise.  If something won't run on a distro, it's because of newer
libraries, additional packages, or someother incidental that can almost
always be corrected, in my humble experience.

Cheers,
Phil

--
Lottery:    a tax on people who are bad at math