Re: [TCLUG:20862] Corel office

The price on the Applix box was $99. It rang up at $70 or so at the register
though. I've been using it daily. I have yet to have it crash, and all the
word documents I've imported worked. Also imported a timesheet no problem.
Formulas and everything.

The only real issue I had was printing. Applix parses your printcap, and
expects a BSD style printcap. I'm using LPRNG. With lprng you can get away
with not finishing your lines with :\. Well, Applix was royally confused by
this. E-mail tech support was timely enough, but I ended up figuring out the
problem on my own. LPRNG works just fine with a proper BSD printcap.

Netscape/Mozilla/StarOffice could learn quite a bit from the way Applixware
handles printing. It's nice that it doesn't try to reinvent the wheel (yet
again! lpr, lprng, cupsys...) like StarOffice does. The only thing it really
adds is PCL support. I haven't bothered trying, as I'm happy with my
printers performance with ghostscript. (LPRNG lets you filter print jobs to
remote printers locally, nice!)

--
Andy Zbikowski, Sys Admin   | (WEB) http://www.ltiflex.com
LTI Flexible Products, Inc. | (PH)  763-428-9119 (EX) 132
21801 Industrial Blvd       | (FX)  763-428-9126
Rogers, MN  55374           | (PCS) 612-306-6055
begin:vcard
n:Zbikowski;Andrew
tel;pager:612-306-6055
tel;cell:612-306-6055
tel;fax:763-428-9126
tel;home:763-591-0977
tel;work:763-428-9119
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.ltiflex.com
org:LTI Flexible Products;Information Services
adr:;;21801 Industrial Blvd.;Rogers;MN;55374;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:andyzb@ltiflex.com
title:Computer Systems Administrator
x-mozilla-cpt:;-13248