zip drive

I'm trying to get my zip drive set up via a newbie article from
Linux-mag because Sensei's zip drive NHF just didn't work at all (as has
been my experience with ALL of his NHF's).

The article says I have to run /sbin/modprobe -v imm to load the kernel
modules.  Great.  When I run modprobe, the return message says my
parport device or resource is busy.  Well, I've even run modprobe with
nothing physically attached to my parallel port, so it can't be busy.

When I try to run dmesg to find out which device the module is being
recognized as, I get a ton of eth0:interrupt(s) dropped! messages, and
buried among those messages, I get a parport0:PC-style at 0X378
[SPP,PS2], then a parport0:no IEEE-1284 device supported, THEN after
that I get imm version 2.03 (for Linux 2.0.0) {I'm running 2.2.14}, then
after that I get a scsi : 0 hosts message.

I'm running Mandrake 7.0 and did all the above as root.  This is yet
another WTF, Over Linux experience and any help would be appreciated.

Ken Russell
The Russell Pottery