Re: mandrake 7.0 upgrade fail

I hope you are wrong, but it sounds very reasonable. I upgraded another
machine from redhat 5.1 to mandrake 6.0 and it worked fine. redhat 5.x was
very similar to mandrake and while it didn't say that the upgrade would
work from a redhat distro, it did. Maybe now that mandrake is more
different from redhat than before this isn't true anymore.

On Wed, 2 Feb 2000 mwtown@mmm.com wrote:

> If you're trying to go from RedHat 6.0 to Mandrake 7.0, I don't think it'll
> work.  If I've read the screens right, you can only upgrade from a previous
> Mandrake installation.  I don't think it'll work upgrading from the
> straight RedHat release.
>
> Like I said, I'm not sure if that's right, but it's something to check on.
> I upgraded from Mandrake 6.1 this weekend, and it worked fine.  Two notes;
> It takes longer if you're doing an upgrade (since it checks all of your
> installed packages to see what it needs to upgrade), and it will add an
> option to boot to your old kernel in LILO.

Yes, the upgrade takes a while to check packages... it is when it finishes
the package testing that I get these wierd error messages and a shutdown.
hmmm

Is there a good way to get my computer to mandrake 7.0 without losing all
my configurations and non mandrake-included rpm's?

Is there a script I could run to do rpm -Uvh to all the mandrake 7.0
packages that I have older version of already installed?

Thanks,

Ben