Re: [TCLUG:13418] Protest Aftermath

that reminds me about a description about how compaq computer corp became
the first IBM clone company.  and how they reverse-engineered the only
thing they couldn't get specs for... the bios..

this is something i learned about 5 years ago, so my memory may not be
totaly acurate.

first thing they did was have an engineer study DOS, and how it interacted
with the bios.  he could look at everything.  but he would not look at any
code for the compaq bios.. he simply wrote a specification for a clone
bios, using no actual code.

then a second engineer would look at this specificaton, and actualy write
the code based on that spec.  several things had to be "just right" with
this 2nd person.  they had to have no knowlage of IBM systems, they could
only know about x86 assembly, but not in the context of IBM.

this allowed him to not infring on any IBM patents or copywrites.

Thank You,
        Ben Kochie (ben@nerp.net)