Metamail trouble

Can anyone help with what should be a pretty trivial question?

I try to run lynx (a fast way to look at html documentation, so I don't
have to post dumb questions like this one.)  It gives me the error msg
"metamail:  Can't open temporary file!"

I have checked, and default is supposed to be /tmp, though I'm not really
sure what it's trying to do.  I checked and permissions on tmp are
rwxrwxrwt.  I'm not sure if I want the t there, so I tried changing it and
nothing.  I tried setting the env. var. METAMAIL_TMPDIR, but didn't get
anything useful.

So, now it's time to admit that I'm not really sure what metamail, called
by lynx, is looking for.  I've also peeked in mailcap files, but didn't
see anything easily recognizable as the source of my trouble.  And, while
I looked in the .mailcap at home and saw some things that Netscape put in
there, this seems to be a global problem -- i.e., it shouldn't be a user
.mailcap, though I did learn that metamail logical ands all the mailcap
files it finds on it's path, rather than taking the last one.

Config files available on request.

Thanks!

Phil M.

--