Re: [TCLUG:13459] EEP! NOT GOOD!!

On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Brian J. Ackermann wrote:

> Ok, so I've got this firewall up and running now.
>
> Everythings great.  Its attached to a keyboard/mouse/monitor share switch.
> It appears that a few times out of 100 when the firewall machine 'goes to
> sleep' when the switch is pointing to another computer, the firewall machine
> freezes solid.
>
> I know I asked this question a while back, and I did get a response that
> solved the problem.  Unfortunately, the solution to this is saved on my
> laptop, which is currently getting repaired.
Sucks when hardware craps out on you, huh?

> I'm hoping I can get this machine to NOT fall asleep anymore, so that on
> those rare occasions we don't need to worry.  My boss isn't too impressed
> with our linux firewall so far.  Though any of you who have helped me with
> this over the past few months should know that it was a miracle that
> anything worked at all the way things were before.  Its going to be while
> before everything works the way he wants it.  For what its worth, the
> network is faster, things are working better in general than ever
> before...he's just being critical, becaue he's afraid of linux, or at least
> that how it seems to me.

Go into the bios and turn off everything related to APM. Should take care
of it.  And there is a learning curve to Linux; it will take a while to
get the network back up to 100%. But once it is back to 100%, it'll stay
there. Unless a winblows box interferes.  :)