Oracle

I am having trouble iwth Oracle. I had thought that my install was o.k. as we
are able to login to the database server using sqlplus, but only as user
oracle. If we are logged in as a normal user (Even if he is of group adm)
logging in with sqlplus nets this error:

ORA-01034: Message 1034 not found; No message file for product=RDBMS,
facility=ORA

My system is a RH6.1 box, with Oracle 8.1.5. I would also like to note that
the installer was very much broken. We had many many problems getting it to
install. Is there a newer release maybe that is "fixed" for linux install? If
so does someone have a version of that free developers release they would burn
me a copy of if I pay for media and/or time of the individual? ANy help would
be greatly appreciated. I am extremely new to Oracle and Data Bases in
general.

Thanx
--
Ben Lutgens  System / Network Administrator CS Solutions Inc
1821 University Ave, St. Paul, Mn

checking for mass_quantities_of_bass_ale in -lFridge... no
checking for mass_quantities_of_any_ale in -lFridge... no
Warning: No ales were found in your refrigerator.
  We highly suggest that you rectify this situation immediately.