multi-processors (was:Re: [TCLUG:13602] Myth II for Linux)

>	I think a Celeron xMHz is about 60% of the speed of an Athlon
>xMHz.  Even a PIII xMHz is about 90% of the speed of an Athlon xMHz.  I
>suspect I could beat your dual Celeron with an Athlon 700, and that
>wouldn't require the program to be split in two, or support
>multithreading to work well.
        but the K7 mobo & cpu would probably cost $200 more. :)
        mind you, that will change. (doesn't it always?). the question is,
will dual-celeron rigs get cheaper enough, faster enough, to keep up with
the PIII/K7 rigs?

speaking of PIIIs, now that they've gone back to Socket-370 (having failed
to shake off the competition with slotted processors); what does this mean
for cheap multiprocessing? will we soon see dual Socket-370 boards that will
take either celerons or PIIIs? if so, would you buy one?

the only multi-processor K7 things I've heard, has been Hotrail's
(www.hotrail.com) 4/8-way chipset. I actually gave them a call; and their
marketing person said that they "were in heavy verification" right now. we
shouldn't see anything based on their chipset until the end of this year. :(

Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator    307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA	        Buffalo, MN
carls@agritech.com      (612) 682-1091