Tradeoff between Linux vs Solaris (et.al.)

I recently asked for and got this opinion about linux from a web service
for businesses provider.

>Linux is fine as a "cheap" non mission-critical server OS. It is very
>efficient compared to NT. In business it's a tradeoff between having
>enough techno-geeks around to ensure they are running or paying for
>the Solaris (et. al.) OS.

I don't have the experience to evaluate the last sentence and could easily
be led to believe it's true.  I'm curious if anyone would disagree with it
and why?

gs
George Swan
Collection Development Support Unit	VOICE:	(612) 624-5860
Room 170B, Wilson Library			FAX:	(612) 626-9353
University of Minnesota Libraries		g-swan@tc.umn.edu
309 19th Avenue South			cdm-web@tc.umn.edu
Minneapolis, MN 55455			colldev@tc.umn.edu
USA						http://www.lib.umn.edu/cdm/