Re: [TCLUG:13690] [OT] @$%@%^ University! @#$@% PeopleSoft!!

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Nate Carlson wrote:

> > They implement this $60 million (and growing!) program and now we find
> > out that it was ONLY A BETA?!?!  *whap* *bang* *crash* *bang*
> >
> > *sigh*   I just needed to vent...
>
> Heh, hack up something with php3 and mysql and sell it to them for a
> measly $10 million.  :)

Yup. I wrote a short little paper/essay thing on the PeopleSoft system
sucking (hard). I need to fix some of the math in it, but I'd like to get
it published in the DailyOnline or something like that. Anyway, I figured
out just how many users it has to handle at once -- only about 500! Can
you believe that?

I closed with a statement saying I could round up some people to implement
a web registration system "using proven technologies like PHP and MySQL
for only $4 million." ;)

Seriously though, it would NOT be that hard to write a Oracle/whatever
database layer to handle the actual registration, then _transfer_ it into
the PeopleSoft [1] system at a nice, regulated rate...I mean...it would
suck, but it would WORK!

Luke

[1] Apparently, the PeopleSoft system does allow for some nice campus-wide
system integration which would be pretty hard to duplicate -- if it
worked, anyway!