Xwrappers again

I've got a little 486 running Caldera 2.3 for my 5th grader.  We started
off w/o X, so's he could learn some cli interaction.  As a reward for good
behavior, I told him we'd get X up and running.  However, after having
done XConfig, I can only get it to run when I do it manually -- very like
the trouble that Carl had some time ago.

When I use startx, it dies because Xwrapper cannot connect to the
server.  I've looked at the sym link from X to the appropriate server (VGA
in this case) and it seems to be right.  Any further suggestions?  Can I
just ditch Xwrapper?

Thanks for your patient and knowing responses again!

Cheers,

Phil M

--
Life is complex: