Re: [TCLUG:13760] setting up port numbers

well, how about the standard port number that every one else on the
internet uses.. 21 and 20.. ftp is a slightly different than normal
protocol.  port 21 is used for command and control instructions, and 20 is
used for the data transfer.  check out /etc/services for what the standard
port is for just about every known service.

I think the connection information you are looking at is not
correct.. what ftp client are you using. and when you post info about
program output. please post all the info, not just a snipit...

such as:

[14:52] mephesto:~ > ftp localhost
Connected to localhost.
220 ProFTPD 1.2.0pre4 Server (ProFTPD) [mephesto.gh]
Name (localhost:ben): anonymous
331 Anonymous login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
Password:
230-Welcome, archive user anonymous@localhost !
ftp>

Thank You,