basic install problem which seems to be video related

I'm trying to (finally!) install RH 6.1 on a Toshiba 2515CDS laptop.
However, every every time I get to the part where I'm supposed to select a
video card, it dies.  I got further than I ever have by telling it I had an
unsupported VGA compatible model, which isn't true.  I've got a Chips &
Tech 69000 with 2 MB RAM.  If I'm reading the XFree86 documentation
correctly, it seems to think that version 3.3.3 supports it, but I'm not
certain if this is the version I have or no.  Anyway, what happens is, I
tell it my video card, it thinks for a bit, then spits out an error message
and exits the install.  When I tried with a generic card, it got all the
way to trying to boot X and then the screen flickered a lot and I had to
manually shut it off.  The screen flickering also happens when I try to run
the GUI install manager, but then it gives me the error message and exits
the install like it does when I tell it my video card.

Does anyone know what the heck is going on?  This is really driving me
nuts; I've been waiting literally months to try Linux out and now this....

Katie
harrisk3@worldnet.att.net