CDROM Freezing machine (was: [TCLUG:13979] bootup messages)

  Hi,

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Philip C Mendelsohn wrote:

> I just had a CDROM problem where an existing drive wasn't recognized
> anywhere, even after a reboot.  Turned out that a power off was needed for
> the hardware to get back to normal.  Maybe it applies to you too...

Well, what I did was compile the ide-cd.o module and then insmodded
it... and remembered why I disabled the CDROM.

Whenever I do an extended read from the CDROM, like running cdparanoia to
grab the entire CD... my machine freezes completly. Have to
hard-reset. This happens whether I'm on raw ATAPI more or in SCSI
Emulation mode. I thought it was because the CDROM was reading and the HDD
it was writing to were on the same IDE channel, but I've moved it to IDE1
and it still happens. I don't know if this means a flaky CDROM drive or a
flaky IDE motherboard. Can anyone offer any insight?

-Yaron