Re: [TCLUG:14044] serial consoles

On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, Dan Debertin wrote:
> We're trying to avoid KVM switches altogether here. We're used to having
> access to the Sun serial console, and are trying to get the same thing on
> the i386 Linux/FreeBSD boxes that we're looking at buying. I know that a
> serial console is supported in both the Linux and FreeBSD kernels, but I
> have the mysterious idea that this also requires a certain kind of BIOS
> ..... the Phoenix BIOS comes to mind, and I think there are others. Can
> anyone validate this/provide suggestions?

Yeah, the Phoenix bios on some Intel server boards (the ones in VA Boxes I
know for sure) support serial console. But, the only time you need BIOS
support is if you want BIOS messages over the serial wire.. otherwise, you
just see from the time LILO boots the kernel.

---
nate carlson
the infinite loop
natecars@infiniteloop.com