Re: [TCLUG:14085] RAID 0 reliability

On Sat, 26 Feb 2000, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> What is the use of striping?  Does it just concatenate all the disks
> together to make them look like one big disk?  If so, what is a real world
> use for that?

Actually, concatenation is something else altogether. Striping is where
part of some logical chunk (say, a block, or a file) is spread across the
two spindles. Now that chunk can be read/written to twice fast, since each
drive can get to work right away on reading/writing their half of the
chunk. It's all laid out fairly well in the Web page whose URL I cited in
a previous post.

--
Christopher Reid Palmer : www.innerfireworks.com