App Install question

Okay, just need a little help with the details.  My system has finally reached
the point where I can use Linux almost exclusively.  It's now at the point
where I may want to add applications, but I want to make sure I understand the
procedure first.  I know I download and compile the app as root, but what do I
do then to make it available to user accounts?

Thanks for the help,
  --Larry

L. Crisp --------------- cris0027@tc.umn.edu
-- "In the grand scheme of things, aren't we all  --
--   just looking for a reverse tachyon pulse      --
--       through the main deflector dish?"           --