Re: [TCLUG:11792] [TCLUG] I'd like some opinions on a business

Scott,

A few years back myself and a couple of friends started a business
to do just this.  What we learned (quickly) is this:

 * If you can't buy in volume, you can't compete with any moderately
   large corportation in terms of prices.  Buying processors from intel
   alone is problematic at best.  (Rule of thumb - you will pay double.)
   There is a huge barrier to entry.  (You might think you can do it
   cheaper than Penguin or VA, but you haven't added in anything but hardware
   costs yet.)

 * We couldn't do it part-time at night because we had to do
   shipping and receiving which almost requires and office and
   definately requires a lot of time.

 * Hardware is flakey.  A good percentage of the hardware you get will
   be bad.  So you need to stock up or tell you customers it may be
   2-4 weeks before you get them the machine.  (How many people you know
   that want to wait a long time for a $800 machine?)

 * Forget about dual-booting windows machines unless the customer is
   willing to pay a lot more, because the licensing for Windows OEM
   prevents dual booting.  So you need the full version.  For NT, you
   can add on a nice additional $350 to the price of your machine.

 * Advertising is mega-expensive.

 * Being on Red Hat's hardware list will indeed get you some calls and
   e-mails, but probably not quite enough.

 * We couldn't market anything because we didn't know where to start.
   Putting ads all over magazines probably doesn't get to your core market
   which is businesses.

In addition to this, Dell, Gateway, or Compaq will put you out of business
some day by deciding to sell machines in ads in PC Magazine.

After the first couple of machines we sold, we realized it just wasn't
for us and we gave up.  (We are lazy and did have other jobs at the time.)
About a year later, we formed a corporation and now do software development
full-time.

Lastly, I'd suggest trying to start the business with someone who has
gone through the process of starting a business at least once before.

-Shawn