Binary bloat with egcs or gcc-2.95.2

Does anybody know how to get rid of the code bloat caused by compile under
egcs-1.1.2 (or even earlier) and gcc-2.95.2?

What I mean is that I just compiled the 2.9.1.25 binutils and my previous
version was the same (except it was the default supplied by Slackware).  The
binary, /usr/bin/as, is many times larger than the original one.  It
certainly seems faster, but I am not sure it is a good price to pay.  I have
not found any command line switches that "magically" turn off code bloat -
but there must be one somewhere.  Slackware managed to do it, right?

Tom Veldhouse
veldy@visi.com