Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra SCSI host adapter and SCSI1 tape drive

I am trying to get an old WangDAT SCSI1 tape drive to work with my Adaptec
AHA-294X Ultra SCSI host adapter.

I am getting the following error:

scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 1, scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00

If I put the tape drive on an old Adaptec 1542, it works fine even in the same
box (1 scsi controller at a time).

So, I am thinking the 294X does not like the old SCSI1 tape drive. I jumped
into the SCSI BIOS and message with the transfer rates, disconnection stuff,
and the negotiate wide stuff to no avail.

Anyone know how to get a 294X SCSI controller to talk to an old WangDAT SCSI1
tape drive under linux?
--
Bob Tanner <tanner@real-time.com>       | Phone : (612)943-8700