Re: [TCLUG:11835] Java?

What rev of the JDK is Kaffe at?  If at 1.1.X, then classes.zip needs to be part
of the classpath.  However, if 1.2.x, then rt.jar or tools.jar should not need
to be part of the classpath because of the concept behind the bootpath.  This is
all dependent on how well Kaffe tracks the JDK.  Kaffe is supposed to be a
cleanroom implementation of the Java JDK.

Having said that, I have yet heard of somebody getting Kaffe working well.  I
hate to say it (because it is a rather large download) but I would remove Kaffe
and get the Blackdown distribution.

Jon Schewe wrote:

> Bob Tanner wrote:
> >
> > Quoting Callum Lerwick (lerwick@tcfreenet.org):
> > > Alright, I can't get java to work. I dunno what the heck is going on and
> > > I can't find any useful documentation. Someone tell me. :)
> > >
> > > cal@bigtime:~/webrpg$ jar
> > > java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sun/tools/jar/Main
> > >         at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Throwable.java:40)
> > >         at java.lang.Error.<init>(Error.java:21)
> > >         at java.lang.LinkageError.<init>(LinkageError.java:21)
> > >         at
> > > java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError.<init>(NoClassDefFoundError.java:21)
> > >
> > > Redhat 6.1, with the stock kaffe RPM...
> >
> I believe with kaffe you need some of the stuff from jdk, like the main
> jar files, classes.zip or rt.jar.
> --
> Jon Schewe
> http://eggplant.mtu.net/~jpschewe
> schewe@tcfreenet.org

Perry Hoekstra - dutchman@mn.uswest.net
All that is Microsoft does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old AT&T Unix that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by frost.

From the ashes of Spec1170 a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be the Unix OS that was broken,
Linux shall be king.