disappearing print files?

        I've recently noted that if I send a number of files to be printed
(via SAMBA 1.9.18 (printer is a public share), with lpd 0.33-1; on a RH 5.1
box), in rapid succession, a good number of them will tend to disappear.
        I've tried looking at the log files; but can't seem to find one for
lpd. am looking at the man pages for lpd and syslog, to see if I can find
something useful.

I suppose what I really should do is set up a separate print server, and
upgrade to the latest versions of everything; but that's more work than I
really want to do right now. I'm hoping I can find a simpler fix for this.

any ideas from anyone?

if all else fails I'll restart the old Novell print server (took it offline
a few days ago; and began noticing the problems with SAMBA/lpd); but I
really don't want to...

Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator	307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA		Buffalo, MN