web hosting recommendations?

Does anyone have any experience with web hosting companies? I've looked at a
bunch and they're all starting to look the same.

I was hoping to go with someone local, but the prices and features that some
of the national guys are posting look pretty nice. I'm taking it as a given
that the customer service will be inversely proportional to the price, and I
can probably deal with that.

Basically all I really want is mod_perl and a bunch of pop3 accounts (jsp
would be fun to play around with also, but isn't necessary).

Thanks!